GNI Innovation Challenge empowers news organizations from around the world to pioneer new thinking in online journalism.

GNI Innovation Challenges:

A global initiative called the GNI Innovation Challenge gives news organizations from all over the world the opportunity to show innovative approaches to digital journalism. We're looking for innovative ideas. Do you intend to introduce a fresh new product? Have a never-before-tried strategy to improve journalism's quality? Or are you looking for a fresh method to diversify your income? We're on the lookout for fresh innovators who want to push the envelope and make audacious strides toward a future that is more diverse and sustainable. It comes after the first two rounds, in which 15 countries' worth of 41 projects were chosen. Additionally, the projects will provide knowledge and fresh perspectives to impart to the industry at large.

The application for the Asia-Pacific Region 2022 is currently open and the last date to apply is August 23, 2022 Singapore Time (GMT +8). We have given the link below.

Application Process:

The application period begins on July 6, 2022, at 9 a.m. Singapore Time (GMT+8), and ends on August 23, 2022, at 23:59 Singapore Time (GMT+8).

Only online applications in the following languages will be accepted: English, Bengali, Chinese, Hindi, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, and Thai.

Through the online application form, submit descriptions, financial details, and a slide deck.

Additionally, you must agree to the terms and conditions of the Asia-Pacific and GNI Innovation Challenge application.

List of Eligible Projects:

  1. Ways to increase reader engagement and/ or reader revenue
  2. Developing and diversifying business models
  3. Business Intelligence approaches to better leverage data capabilities
  4. New methods of distribution
  5. Combating misinformation
  6. Increasing Trust in Journalism
  7. Reaching New Audiences
  8. Improving the efficiency of workflows
  9. Exploring New Technologies

The projects should be innovative and are not limited to the above scope. The expected output is to deliver the innovation outcomes within 12 months of receiving the funding.

Evaluation Criteria:

  1. Innovation
  2. Feasibility
  3. Diversity
  4. Inspiration
  5. Impact on the News Industry

Project Funding:

Google will provide funding for the chosen projects, however we highly advise consistency in grant requests. The sum asked should be in line with the project's scope, and all methods, from modest prototypes to try out ideas to larger, more revolutionary implementations, are encouraged. Google will provide up to 70% of the project's overall expenditure, with the applicant responsible for at least the remaining 30%. Operational expenses could be included in the self-funded component. Personnel expenditures, engineering costs, and the purchase or licensing of any tools, hardware, software, or other assets required for the project are all eligible expenses. 20 percent of the total Google funding requested should not be spent on marketing.

For applying use the following link --> Application Link

📣 You can also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Youtube and LinkedIn to know more such opportunities